Monday, October 27, 2008

Tools for your trade

Kiran here...with my long overdue recommendation on cameras and printers that will serve you well and not cost you a kidney. I'd suggest finding them used on Ebay.

Camera: LUMIX FZ5/FZ7/FZ8
All the benefits and control of a SLR in a very compact package. I've had the FZ5 since 2003 and have no regrets. You can also shoot quicktime movies. It has a killer 12x zoom, and a Leica lens.

Printer: Canon i9100/i9900
The 9100 has 6 inks and the 9900 has 8...all individual cartridges that will save you a ton of money. Printer heads are available for around 75$ so you can breathe life into an old printer if you need to.

If all you can afford is a letter sized printer, I'll teach you how to mount two sheets together to make a 11x17 ad. Ask me in class.

Buying a good camera and printer will serve you well in the long run. It'll save you time, money and free you from the ineptitude of Kinko's employees.

No comments: