Wednesday, September 17, 2008

David Ogilvy Quotes

"The consumer isn't a moron; she is your wife. You insult her intelligence if you assume that a mere slogan and a few vapid adjectives will persuade her to buy anything. She wants all the information you can give her."

Advertising is only evil when it advertises evil things.

Can advertising foist an inferior product on the consumer? Bitter experience has taught me that it cannot. On those rare occasions when I have advertised products which consumer tests have found inferior to other products in the same field, the results have been disastrous.

Don't bunt. Aim out of the ball park. Aim for the company of immortals.

Every advertisement should be thought of as a contribution to the complex symbol which is the brand image.

I do not regard advertising as entertainment or an art form, but as a medium of information.

I have a theory that the best ads come from personal experience. Some of the good ones I have done have really come out of the real experience of my life, and somehow this has come over as true and valid and persuasive.

No comments: